Archive for February, 2008
I’ve just gone through the comments requiring moderation and my spam filter, and found some lovely comments that hadn’t gotten forwarded to my email. Though I may not reply to them all, you can be sure that they inspire me to continue looking for and posting all the crafty tutorial goodness I can find.
I’ve posted so many tutorials that I fear I’m beginning to repeat some of them. If you notice I’ve got something on here more than once, please forgive me.
"We’re excited to bring you a new contest for 2008! Chronicle Books and CRAFT Magazine are bringing you a contest for all you Amy Butler fans and sewers around the
US world! For a two-month period crafters can submit pictures of their own Amy Butler inspired bag online to the flickr group called ‘Amy Butler Sew Inspiring Contest‘. At the end of the two-month period Amy Butler will pick a top winner and five runners up among the entries.
"The grand prize winner will receive a Janome Memory Craft 6600P Sewing Machine with a retail value of $1999, Amy Butler Fabric, Amy Butler’s Midwest Modern (published by STC), Amy Butler’s In Stitches, and the Sew-It Kit (both published by Chronicle Books).
"The five runner-ups will win a copy of Amy Butler’s Midwest Modern, Amy Butler’s In Stitches, and the Sew-It Kit."
For more details: Craftzine.com blog: Amy Butler Sew Inspiring Contest
I received a comment in my last post about Sewing Patterns that she still was having trouble understanding the basics. Here are a bunch of links, in the hopes that one or two of them will be useful.
All About Sewing Patterns (video)
How to Read a Sewing Pattern (video)
All About Sewing Patterns (series of videos)
Because I want to learn embroidery, I’ve been looking for good sites on the subject. Hope you find them useful too. These are the results from today’s search. Please add any favorite links of your own in the comments.
- Hoop Love on Flickr–This group is to share images of VINTAGE Embroidery, Cross Stitch and Red Work Hot Iron Transfers, and Printable Designs.
- St. Joe-Joe a Go-Go–download PDF pattern at end of post.
- Jane Stockton’s Flower Pattern
- flickrembroidery.blogspot.com freebies (via flickrembroidery.blogspot.com)
- The Blackwork Embroidery Archives (ditto)
- How to Do Double Running Stitch (ditto)
- M’Lady Osanna Blackwork Designs (ditto)
- A Blackwork Embroidery Primer (ditto)
- Fill In Patterns for Blackwork (ditto)
- Blackwork Designs from 16th Century Sources (ditto)
- Blackwork Patterns (ditto)
- Vintage Transfer Finds (ditto)
- Needlecrafter.com Pattern Search Engine
- Stargazer Lily
- Free Vintage Patterns from patternbee.com
- floresita’s vintage patterns
- floresita’s cursive monograms
- not free, but oh-so-cute and quite inexpensive primitive samplers
Stitches and Stitch Libraries
- Stitch Dictionary (via flickrembroidery.blogspot.com)
- Stitch School (ditto)
- Video Library of Stitches (ditto)
- How to do the Holbein/Double Running Stitch
- Stitch Dictionary from prettyimpressivestuff.com
- Basic Embroidery Stitches at Needle ‘n Thread
- Video Library of Stitches at Needle ‘n Thread
- Stitch Dictionary at Sharon b’s in a minute ago
- Stitches at Heritage Shoppe
- All About Needles (via flickrembroidery.blogspot.com)
- Embroidered Buttons (ditto)
- Embroidery on Felt (ditto)
- Fabric Thumbtacks (ditto)
- Felt Barrettes (ditto)
- French Knots (ditto)
- Lacing Cards (ditto)
- Separate Your Floss (ditto)
- Transfer Pencils (ditto)
- Wax Paper Stabilizer (ditto)
- Working With Felt (ditto)
- How To – Couching (ditto)
- A five-part manual for beginning needlework